Today VMware released the next evolution of the Workspace Portal (FKA Horizon Workspace) which is now introducing itself as VMware Identity Manager, or vIDM for short. vIDM is offered as both an on-premises solution as well as a hosted solution on vCloud Air. If you’re a current Workspace Portal OP user licensed through Horizon Advanced/Enterprise you will be eligible for upgrade to the new vIDM OP solution.
What’s New in vIDM 2.4
- HTML Access support for Horizon View Applications
- vIDM brings an all-new Access Management Admin UI. Most of the identity management can now be done using the main workspace admin UI!
- SQL Server 2014 and Oracle 11g are both supported databases for use with vIDM
- RADIUS server can now be used as one of the authentication methods
- vIDM introduces support for certificate and smart-card authentication.
So about my upgrade…
- Existing Workspace Portal customers upgrading to v2.4 will be able to upgrade from 2.1.x or migrate from 2.0
- Workspace Portal 2.x will become EOA on December 31, 2015
- Workspace isn’t dying.. it’s rebranded!
- vIDM 2.4 is compatible with at least vSphere 5.0 U2 and newer
- Horizon View 5.2, 5.3.5, 6.0.2, 6.1.1
- ThinApp 4.7.3, 5.0.1 and 5.1
- Chrome, Safari, IE 10/11, Firefox, Microsoft Edge
- Active Directory 2008, 2008 R2, 2012, 2012 R2
- VMware Identity Manager & Workspace Portal EOA – FAQ
- Check out the vIDM Product FAQ PDF
- Check out the Release Notes